Thursday, March 5, 2009

Rambling Post

This post is about a few random things that are on my mind.

First, yesterday after class and a nice lunch with a friend I was feeling so sluggish and tired. I wanted to take a nap but I resisted and went for a walk instead. It really did help me feel more energized and I was able to do a load of laundry and sweep before I had to pick the kids up. So this is a little note to myself to remind me to get out and enjoy the nice weather.

Second, I am feeling so distressed about moving my kids to a new school next year. I haven't shared with you, all the unhappiness I am feeling about S's teacher this year. It is bad, really bad. The problem is, she will either have the same teacher next year or one that is even worse. I also worry about T having one of these teachers in a couple of years.

So D and I have decided that it's time for a change. Our neighborhood school is only a few blocks away and we went for a visit, talked to the principal and some teachers. It will be a hard transition but I think T, especially, would benefit from the more structured setting that this new school would offer.

It's just so hard, our current school is like our home - we have been there for 5 years. I have spent so many hours there volunteering. We know everyone in the school and have so many friends. I spent countless hours thinking about it and sometimes crying. I want to do what is best for my kids but how do I know what is best?

5 comments:

J. Denae said...

You are an intelligent, sensitive, caring mom who has clearly thought through the situation and anticipates the needs your kids might have in a transition. Just knowing that I am confident that whatever you decide will be the right choice for you and your kids, and they will thrive.

Princessliak said...

if anyone knows the ins and outs of a school it is you. change is hard, but they and you will meet new people and learn to adapt - a good lesson to learn. good luck my dear!

Fairy Spun Fibers said...

Oh, Jackie, how well I remember that sort of hurt! Before we started h'sing (which was a total desperation-move on my part at the time, before I realized I actually loved doing it), the kids had been going to what I thought was a wonderful school not far down the road from us. We practically lived there, volunteering for everything, being really supportive of the teachers and principal. BUT - the teachers both kids had... totally.stunk. Apparently, I was the last parent to know that. It was absolutely heart-breaking to leave there - I felt like I was leaving a part of myself behind. Strange to say, but it turned out that our kids - while they missed *some* of the other kids - were actually relieved to be leaving. They had always been afraid to tell me how bad their teachers were, thinking I'd get mad at *them*, or something... I think! I couldn't believe they would think that, but kids are funny that way. I, too, thought some improbable things about my own Mom that just weren't 'so', way-back-when.

Change is hard, especially when you've invested SO much of your whole self. But, this type of change would happen anyway as they got older and went to upper-grade schools. Maybe you could think of this as just a sooner-than-expected normal change.

Kids are always much less distressed over changes, if they see Mom and Dad being philosophical about a situation. I was told (when the kidlets were little) that kids become distressed more for their parents' sake than for themselves, if they see their parents worried or unhappy. So far, that seems to be holding true over here, even they're now in in high school (so I still have to keep a lot to myself!).

Anyone who can be a Mom, a wife, a Scout Mother, a Super Incredible Organizer Of All Things Fun And Necessary, and STILL find strength to run Tri's, can do darned near anything, in my books. You rock, Jackie - do NOT let this little blip in the road (and that IS what it is) get you down. You have too much going for you to let total jerks get the better of you. Right? RIGHT!

Show 'em you're a Survivor and one Tough Cookie (which you are)! Go, Jackie, GO!

P.S. So, I hope you will excuse the 'pep talk', but I sure could've used a few 'back in the day'. I thought maybe you could, too. Chin up, toots - you're doing FINE - and MORE than fine (& I wish someone had told me that, too!).
Hugs & cheers from the sidelines :-),

Sally Knitz said...

You're one of the best parents I know. I think your concern for your kids and your skills at helping them adjust will be good.

Knowing when to leave a bad situation (even if it is hard0 is a powerful lesson. I think you and your family are going to do well.

Allison said...

Sounds like you're really sad to leave behind the relationships you built at the old school. You've invested a lot of time and energy in this school, yet the teachers aren't meeting your children's needs.

No matter what the situation, wherever you find yourself, a mutually beneficial outcome will happen, my dear.