Monday, December 21, 2009

Mittens- Fail

I decided to knit the Mrs. Roosevelt mittens from the new Knitty. Unfortunately, I had some problems from the beginning. First, I selected a worsted weight yarn (Cascade 220) instead of the recommended DK. This caused the gauge to be off and even though I was in denial I had to admit that it needed to be ripped out. With the help of my knitting guru, I selected Dolly for my second attempt. This morning, I knit up the first mitten while watching TT play video games.

My fingers are long and lean so I had to add a few rounds, then rip out and add a few more rounds. Ultimately, I finished the mitten and it fits, but I don't like it. I prefer rounded mittens but these are quite pointy. Also, the thumb is pointy and huge. The bottom line is that I just wanted to knit them because I liked the story: unpublished notes from Eleanor Roosevelt, a timeless patten. I am posting this picture to prove that I actually knit one because by tonight it will be frogged.

No comments: