Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Wal-Mart's Reusable Bags

My Wal-Mart finally started selling reusable bags, they are only a buck each.

I was so happy to see them at the checkout but my cashier seemed less than delighted. I asked her if I could use them right now but she informed me she didn't have scissors to cut the tag that was holding the bags closed - of course, I just pulled out my handy leatherman swiss army knife (thanks Lia) and promptly cut the tags. Then the cashier asked me if I wanted her to place the groceries in plastic bags and then put them in the reusable bags. What?!? I convinced her to just put the items on top of the plastic bag spinner thingy and I bagged the groceries myself. I was able to fit my entire weeks worth of groceries in 5 reusable bags and they sat up so nicely in the back of the van. Hooray for reusable bags.

7 comments:

Allison said...

Out here, some stores credit you 5 cents for each bag you bring/reuse.

Anonymous said...

You know my fondness for reusable bags too... I think it is hilarious how people don't "get" why you use them though. I must get to WalMart ASAP...

Lara said...

That is cool!

That cashier needs a smack upside the head. Or at least a good talking to. Or reusable bag training. Or something. Good for you for taking charge.

Rhonda said...

I love reusable bags--and the weird looks you get from people when you use them,like it is some way out concept. I haven't seen the ones at Wal-Mart, but Food for Thought has some in different colors for 1.99 and they are quite sturdy. I have been using them for quite some time for groceries and even books and love them. Which Wal-Mart do you go to? I want to check it out too!

Jen in KS said...

Well, it's about time Walmart got into gear. What gets me is when I've told the cashier I've got my own bags but she plops my stuff in plastic sacks like she hasn't heard me. I think those cashiers slip into zombie gear after awhile.

Anyway, my favorite reusable grocery sacks are Chico Bags ( http://www.chicobag.com/ ). Love 'em.

Lanora said...

I HATE plastic bags and of course, they only put a couple items in them and you end up with such a ball of trash! Would it be tacky to use my Walmart reusable bags at Dillons???

Tammy said...

It amazes me as to just how clueless some people are. Good for you buying those bags! I have some bags that I found on Ebay to take to the market but I may have to go to WalMart and pick up a couple of the ones like you got. I like the shape of them much better than the ones I have.